The Climate Action Summit of the Secretary-General of the United Nations in September 2019 will be one of the most important global climate action events of the year. The Secretary-General has announced that he wants to see “unprecedented youth and civil society mobilization and engagement” as one of the main outcomes of the summit.
The #ActionNow campaign is designed to help achieve this ambitious aim with the power of music and a combination of technology-facilitated local and global level mass mobilization activities.
At the ECOSOC Youth Forum side event, there will be:
- welcome by Polish Mission
- presentations and discussion on youth empowerment for climate action in the context of Agenda2030 and the UNFCCC process/Marrakech Partnership for Global Climate Action
- a keynote presentation on the topic “Harnessing the power of music for Enhanced Climate Action” with Grammy award-winning artist Ricky Key from India
- a presentation of the #ActionNow campaign & the Earth Music Awards and youth climate action engagement information and ActionNow communication technology tools like cheerity.com
- presentation of partners (e.g. UNESCO MOST, EarthLanka, Earth Day Network, Friendship Ambassadors Foundation, ..)
- a discussion of the #ActionNow youth and civil society mobilization plans with the audience (ECOSOC youth forum participants, partners of the initiative, delegates of missions, ..)
- participants of the event will learn about the UN SG Climate Summit and about innovative ways for youth and civil society mobilization for climate action
- the event will serve as a soft launch of the Earth Music Awards 2019 Call for Music
- the side event will be an opportunity for ECOSOC YF participants to become engaged in the initiative as musicians, local event organizers or outreach partners
- What causes Air Pollution?
- How critical is the issue?
- Who is most affected by this problem?
- What can we do to #BeatAirPollution?
Mr. Tripathi has since 2017 served as Senior Adviser on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at the United Nations Environment Programme. A development economist and lawyer with over 35 years of experience, Mr. Tripathi has served with the UN since 1998 in Europe, Asia, and Africa on strategic assignments in sustainable development, human rights, democratic governance, and legal affairs.
He previously served as the Director and Executive Head of the UN Office for REDD+ Coordination in Indonesia, as well as for the UN Recovery Coordinator for the US$ 7 billion post-tsunami and post-conflict recovery efforts in Aceh and Nias. He also served as Chair of the Committees on Laws and Treaties for the UN-mediated Cyprus unification talks in 2004.
Earlier in his career, he served as a Senior Distinguished Fellow on Natural Resources Governance with the World Agroforestry Centre; and on the World Economic Forum’s Global Advisory Council on Forests.
Mr. Tripathi holds Honours Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees in Commerce; and Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees in Law from Berhampur University, India.
Join hundreds of young leaders and changemakers from around the world at The Youth Assembly this coming August for a life-changing experience!
The Youth Assembly is a unique global platform that empowers the next generation of leaders and change-makers with opportunities to connect, learn, and take action on issues they care about.
Our most exceptional young leaders have the opportunity to amplify their voice at the global stage while aspiring social entrepreneurs with the best proposals compete for mentorship, resources, and seed funding.
This year, we are hosting the 24th Session of The Youth Assembly in Washington, D.C. from August 8-10, 2019 with the theme “New Horizons for Global Youth”.
What to expect at The Youth Assembly:
- Keynote Talks – Get inspiration from today’s trailblazers and influencers
- Thematic Discussions – Interact with panels of experts and leaders in various areas of inquiry
- Skill-building Workshops – Engage in in-depth discussions or activities to develop practical skills
- Impact Challenge – Finalists pitch ideas to a panel of experts for seed funding and mentorship
- Delegate Networking – Make connections with young leaders from all over the world
- Awarding Ceremony – Find out the winners of the Outstanding Youth Delegate Award and Impact Challenge
- Field/Site Visits* – Get an inside look into the workings of global and national institutions and organizations
- Special Events* – Make new friends or collaborators from members of our global community
*Only included in the Global Development Leadership (GDL) Series