Environmental Sustainability Statement
Significance of a Sustainable Environmental World
The significance of an environmentally sustainable world has been affirmed through the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), international bodies and agreements, as well as regional, national, and municipal regulations and policies. The following SDGs identify the forms of environmental sustainability necessary for a healthy and safe environment for all: 6 Clean Water and Sanitation, 7 Affordable and Clean Energy, 11 Sustainable Cities and Communities, 12 Responsible Consumption and Production, 13 Climate Action, 14 Life Below Water, and 15 Life on Land.
Ensuring a greener planet requires action from stakeholders ranging from governments to the private sector to civil society, international organizations, and everyday citizens. Non-profit organizations and civil society often serve as advocates to raise awareness and empower citizens and communities to pursue sustainable activities, lifestyles, and consumption and production patterns. In this spirit, the Friendship Ambassadors Foundation adopts this “Environmental Sustainability Initiative” to contribute to a more sustainable, cleaner, and healthier planet for current and future generations.
Our Objectives and Commitment
A sustainable environment is implicit in the Friendship Ambassadors Foundation Mission to provide programs and networks to create a “sustainable world.” Our commitment to facilitating action for environmental sustainability manifests as one of the four principal focus areas of the organization, and in the Declaration of Priorities for the Friendship Ambassadors community.
As such, we strive to conduct programs that support environmental sustainability, and operationally adhere to environmental practices, local and national policies, and international principles. We include environmental considerations in all components of our operations including project planning, vendor procurement, supplies selections, transportation, waste and recycling, and general office management. We advocate for healthy ecosystems and aim to minimize our carbon footprint through the following:
Programs and Content
Our programs empower and provide opportunities for thousands of young people in the Friendship Ambassadors community to learn about, connect with others, and take action aimed to support environmental sustainability in their local communities or globally. We conduct our programs in collaboration with partner organizations (private sector, academia, government bodies, intergovernmental organizations, civil society) who also promote environmentalism. Our such programs include:
- The Decade of Youth Action Campaign
- The Youth Assembly
- Global Impact Challenge
- Pathways to Impact
Projects and Events Operations and Logistics
We carry out our projects and events for our program participants with the aim to minimize or eliminate costs to the environment through:
- Working with Vendors and Suppliers (venues, hotels, food, entertainment, transport, material, tech, etc.) that have effective sustainability initiatives or practices, where possible. We recognize having limited influence over vendors or third party service and goods providers. While we do not control the decisions and processes of these parties, we educate them on our sustainability position and encourage them to align their practices with these objectives. We also consider the environmental policies of potential vendors when conducting procurement processes.
- Ensuring events venues with recycling systems in place
- Reusing material and supplies and minimizing the use of disposable items and plastics
- Employing public or shared transportation where applicable
- Conducting virtual programs
- Incorporating and electronic/paperless systems and communication
Internal Office Organization
We minimize our internal office carbon footprint in day-to-day activities to lead by example through:
- Minimizing waste by employing recycle systems for supplies, equipment, and furniture
- Forgoing unnecessary paper use and maximizing electronic communication
- Reducing or eliminating one-time use items and plastics, such as plates and plastic bottles
- Making use of public or shared transportation or 0 carbon transportation when possible
- Helping employees and team members take personal responsibility for protecting the environment through daily application of this policy in the workplace as well as beyond, such as at home
- Reviewing our processes to continuously seek to reduce our environmental impact